Sunday, August 14, 2011

A simple personality evaluation

I went to a class quite a while ago, during cycle 3, and I learned something quite interesting I meant to put up all along but I never got around to doing until now.

Lawrence Lee went up and drew a grid shaped like:
                           Task
                               l
             Scientist      l    Boss
                               l
introvert------------l-----------extrovert
                               l
              Nurturer     l    Entertainer
                               l
                          People

That's what his diagram looked like. Now, he began to explain the words and how people fall into certain categories.

He discussed about how if you're outgoing and very task oriented, you stand out as a leader. If you're outgoing but more people oriented, you tend to appeal to others more often, and, as he wrote down, have more of an entertaining personality. Thirdly, if you're task oriented but an introvert, you're more likely to be a "scientist" (examples I thought of were Engineers and just really studious people). And last but not least, introverts who are people oriented care for others genuinely and therefore take a motherly stance.

People certainly don't fall exactly into one category, but I do agree that this summed up personalities in a very general scope. I certainly didn't fall into one specific category. I found myself lingering mostly over the entertainer area, with a bit of boss and a little more of nurturer. I feel like I am very much a people person, or I like to think. That's how I saw myself in this graph.

This activity actually helped me a lot. Because I kind of was able to see where I stood along this graph, I was able to adjust myself to the different kinds of personalities out there in the world. For example, be a little more detail oriented when dealing with a "scientist", be accepting of a "nurturers" kindness, be a follower when dealing with a "boss", and have a good time with an "entertainer". It just makes life that much more conflict-free and simpler! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment